Membership of IORG Inc is open to all individuals, institutions and corporations who have a firm commitment to the aims and goals of the group.
The aims and goals of the group are to:
- Encourage research on geopolitical, security, economic, socio-cultural, environmental, scientific and technological issues relevant to the Indian Ocean region
- Promote dialogue on the peaceful uses and ecologically sustainable development of maritime resources based on the principle of Common Heritage
- Foster interstate cooperation in the sustainable management of ocean resources and the peaceful resolution of maritime disputes
- Ensure a holistic discourse on the human and environmental security of the region among its states, peoples and communities
- Contribute to an understanding of the causes as well as the effects of a wide range of non-traditional regional security threats
- Facilitate information flow and discussion on international maritime regimes and the rights of states and local communities representing the Indian Ocean region
- Initiate informed policy debate among governments, NGOs, business groups, academics and other stakeholders in the Indian Ocean region on issues of common concern
The annual cost of IORG Inc. membership is as follows:
Individual Membership: US $50
Institutional Membership: US $252
Corporate Membership: $500
Life Membership: $2000
The membership fee includes an annual subscription to the society's flagship journal, the Journal of the Indian Ocean Region. The journal is produced in affiliation with the Indian Ocean Rim Association.
Please apply for membership here: