The British Institute in Eastern Africa (BIEA) seeks to appoint a Director to replace Dr Joost Fontein, who is taking up a new appointment as Professor of Anthropology at the University of Johannesburg. The post will commence on 1 September 2018, and appointment will be made for a fixed term of three to five years in the first instance. Applications are welcome from academics in any discipline of the humanities and social sciences who have demonstrated research interests in eastern Africa. Applicants should be mid-career academics with an outstanding record of research and publication, experience in management, and a track record of securing large research grants. A good understanding of the research grants landscape in the UK, and in Europe more widely, will be a strong advantage. The salary will be commensurate with the experience and position of the appointee. The BIEA will be happy to consider making an appointment on a secondment basis from another institution.
The successful applicant will be based in Nairobi, and the appointment will be conditional on the issue of a Kenyan work permit.
- An established record of outstanding research publications on eastern Africa, in any discipline of the humanities and social sciences.
- An established international reputation as a scholar.
- Clear evidence of experience in management.
- Evidence of a track record of securing external funding.
- Evidence of a collegial approach and an ability to collaborate across disciplinary boundaries.
- Understanding of the research grants system in UK
- Understanding of the research grants system elsewhere in Europe, and/or in North America.
For further particulars and to apply for this post: